Rules of Origin Central America
Check the rules of origin applying to your product at My export
Introduction to Rules of origin
legal text of the Rules of Origin Protocol
This page provides an overview of the specific elements of the EU rules of origin with Central America.
See also: EU Rules of Origin (overview)
Toleranceis fixed at 10% of the ex-work price of the product for all products, except for textile and clothing, for which specific tolerance will apply (cf. Appendix I)
See also: General rule of Tolerance or De Minimis
For the implementation of this agreement, the conditions for fulfilling the applicable rules can be established through different Central American countries.
In addition, this agreement provides for:
- Bilateral cumulation with the EU
- diagonal cumulation between Central America and Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru or Venezuela, under some conditions (cf. Article 3 paragraphe 4).
- In addition, upon request from a Central American country or the EU, diagonal cumulation could be granted for materials originating in Mexico, South American or Caribbean Countries, under some conditions (Article 3, paragraphs 8 to 12)
See also: General rule of Cumulation
Evidence of the direct transport will have to be brought to the customs authorities of the importing country
See also: General rule of Direct transport or Non-Manipulation
Duty drawback is authorized
See also: General rule of Duty drawback
The EU rules of origin make a distinction between fish captured within the territorial seas of the partner country and fish captured beyond. In the first case, the product will be considered as originating without additional conditions. In the second, the product will be considered as originating only if it was captured by vessels:
- which are registered in a Member State of the European Union or in a Republic of the CA Party in accordance with the domestic legislation of each Party;
- which sail under the flag of a Member State of the European Union or of a Republic of the CA Party; and
- which meet one of the following conditions:
- they are at least 50 per cent owned by nationals of the Member States of the European Union or of the Republics of the CA Party; or
- they are owned by companies :
- which have their head office and their main place of business in a Member State of the European Union or in a Republic of the CA Party, and
- which are at least 50 per cent owned by a Member State of the European Union or a Republic of the CA Party, public entities or nationals thereof.
Product specific rules can be found in Appendix 2. Nevertheless, for some products, additional flexibilities are offered for determining if a product is originating from Central America. These flexibilities can be found in Appendix IIA.