Proofs of origin Central America
Check the rules of origin applying to your product at My export
Introduction to Rules of origin
legal text of the Rules of Origin Protocol to Central America
To qualify for preferential duty rates at the EU border, products originating in Central America must be accompanied by either:
- a Movement Certificate EUR.1 - issued by the competent authorities of the exporting country. The exporter (or authorised representative) applying for a certificate must be prepared to submit documents proving the originating status of the products concerned on request, and fulfil the other requirements of the Rules of Origin Protocol, or
- an invoice declaration – issued by any exporter, for consignments valued €6 000 or less, or by approved exporters, for consignments of any value.
When filling in an invoice declaration, you should be prepared to submit documents proving the originating status of your products, and fulfil the other requirements of the Protocol on Rules of Origin.
To make an invoice declaration, you should type, stamp or print the following declaration (in the appropriate language) on the invoice, delivery note or other commercial document:
"The exporter of the products covered by this document (customs authorisation No ... ) declares that, except where otherwise clearly indicated, these products are of ... preferential origin".
You can find the different language versions together with explanatory notes in the second page of the invoice declaration. If you write the declaration by hand, you must do so in ink using printed characters.
You must sign your invoice declaration by hand. If you are an approved exporter, you are exempt from this requirement provided you give your customs authorities a written undertaking that you accept full responsibility for any invoice declaration identifying you.
To become an approved exporter, you must be able to satisfy your customs authorities that you are able to prove the originating status of your products, as well as any other requirements they may impose. The customs authorities can withdraw your approved exporter status if you abuse it in any way. To find out more about the procedures, contact your customs authorities.
Proof of origin remains valid for 12 months
Further details at:
- Appendix 3: Specimens of movement certificate EUR.1 and application for a movement certificate EUR.1
- Appendix 4: Invoice declaration
- Appendix 5: Period of time for the presentation of an invoice declaration or reimbursement of tariffs in accordance with Articles 19, paragraph 6 and 21, paragraph 4 of Annex II, concerning the definition of the concept of “originating products” and methods of administrative co‐operation
- Appendix 6: Amounts referred to in Articles 19, paragraph 1 (b) and 24, paragraph 3 of Annex II, concerning the Definition of the Concept of “Originating Products” and Methods of Administrative Co-operation